Calf Calf Care Quick Tip: Don’t Waste Grain
Posted on June 25, 2015 in Starting Strong - Calf Care
Wasted starter is money that could have been put to better use. Here are a couple quick tips to reduce starter waste:
- Don’t overfeed starter. Young calves do not eat much and, therefore, do not need a pail full. Calves like their starter fresh, so providing smaller amounts close to their intakes will help encourage starter intake.
Week of age Average daily starter intake, lb/d Cumulative starter intake, lb/week 1 0.2 1.4 2 0.5 3.5 3 1.1 7.7 4 2.2 15.4 5 3.0 21.0 6 4.0 28.0 7 5.0 35.0 8 6.0 42 Average = 2.75 lb/d Total = 154 lb
- Check the pail height. Intake will slow f the pail is at an uncomfortable height.
- Make sure the pail holders are intact and stay in place.
- If possible, when it rains, cover the pail with another pail to protect the grain.
- Do not dump grain refusals around the calves as they will draw flies this time of year. Flies can spread disease and interrupt the calves while eating.
Starting Strong - Calf Care