Farm Quick Tips: 10 Tips for Safety This Harvest Season
Forage and grain harvests are approaching quickly. Add in the responsibility we still have to care for our animals and this time of year can be very stressful. Don’t add to it with the tragedy of a severe injury or death. Here are 10 tips to stay safe this fall:
- Properly train all members of your team on equipment and procedures. Document the training.
- Wear protective footwear and close-fitting clothes around machinery.
- Wear brightly colored, high-visibility or reflective clothing, especially early in the morning or late in the evening.
- Take breaks frequently to refresh and grab a bite to eat.
- Drink plenty of water as it will help you maintain your energy level.
- Do your best to get adequate rest; schedule shifts accordingly.
- Perform maintenance now prior to harvest so you can give it your full attention instead of rushing.
- Don’t take shortcuts when you need to fix equipment in the field.
- Make sure all guards and shields are in place when operating equipment.
- Take note of the weather conditions and prepare accordingly.
Starting Strong - Calf Care