4 Must-Haves for Moving Calves
The right equipment can make the task of moving a newborn calf from the maternity area to the nursery easier on workers, as well as safe and hygienic for the calf. Key attributes of newborn calf moving equipment include:
- Simple, convenient and reliable
- Easy to clean and sanitize
- Transports newborn calves safely
- Fits onto a scale for birth weight measurement
Here are some types of calf movers that may work well on your farm. See the photos above for more details.
- Tip cart: Makes it easier for workers to slide calves into the cart without picking up the calf.
- Homemade cart: This doesn’t have to be an expensive investment. You might already have the basic parts for making your own newborn calf mover.
- Garden cart: As shown in the third photo above, a simple garden cart might fit well on your calf scale. This can make it very easy to get a newborn’s birth weight.
- Skid-steer attachments: For larger farms moving multiple newborn calves, a skid-steer attachment can be useful. The platform can be raised or lowered to fit the application.
- Small trailer: For longer distances, or hauling on the road, an enclosed trailer dedicated to hauling newborn calves may be a convenient option. It should be cleaned and sanitized frequently.
Starting Strong - Calf Care